Cheddar Cheese Yellow, Aged 5 Year
Mild Tasting hard/semi-hard cheese yellow cheddar.
- 1/2 lb Block $8.50
- 1 lb Block $17.00
- Cheese Curds – Curds and whey are separated using rennet
- Cheddaring is referring to an additional step in the production of cheddar cheese whey, after heating, the curds is kneaded with salt, cut into cubes to drain the whey and then stacked and turned.
- Strong, extra-mature cheddar, can be matured for up to 48 months in an aging room.
- Cheddar cheese is firm in texture cows milk cheese, mellow in character; it is rich with a tendency to melt in the mouth, the flavor full and fine, approaching to that of a hazelnut.
- As Cheddar ages, it will lose moisture and becomes drier and more crumbly intensifying the flavor. The sharp flavor is noticeable after 1 year to 18 months; most flavorful at 3 years but can age up to 10 years and beyond.
- Cheddar made in the classical way tends to have a sharp, pungent flavor, often slightly earthly. Its texture is firm, with farmhouse traditional cheddar being slightly crumbly; it should also, if mature, contain large cheese crystals consisting of calcium bits – often precipitated when matured for times longer than two years.
- Yellow-orange color is when certain plant extracts are added during the make process. One commonly used spice is annatto, extracted from seeds of the tropical achiote tree. Annatto is added to give cheddar a sweet nutty flavor.